Skip to main content

Sincerely, the Reluctant Millennial

Dear Reader,

My name is Addy and I am a reluctant millennial.

Not that that's the most important thing to know about me, but it does explain the reason for the existence of this blog.

I looooooove love love love looooveeeeee paper, and letters, and real, hardcover (or even just straight up paperback) books that you can smell and dog-ear and fan the pages of and I keep almost every movie ticket stub and brochures from festivals and truly every letter and card that has ever been written to me. I love [well, the idea of, since I've really only made the time to do it once] pasting tangible evidence of memories into a scrapbook filled with pretty paper. Throughout all of high school, I even pressed [in all of my big, fat, hardcover books of course] all of the flowers I ever received from dates and dances and recitals and kept them up until the day I left for college when I  finally just threw them away. But, more than anything, I, for some reason, was incredibly anal in my opinion that journals simply NEEDED TO BE WRITTEN, NOT TYPPEN. [Disclosure, I'm sure you know typpen is um most definitely not a word, but I couldn't resist the rhyme.] More than ANNNYYYTTTHIINNNGGG I wanted my posterity to have a physical, handwritten copy of my life. I don't know why, honestly, but as much as I kept trying to keep a journal in Word or online, I just felt like a phony and didn't believe that my babies would be able to really understand and get to know my personality and spirit through typed words on a page.

But then, last night, it finally hit me.

I was in the backseat of our little white Chevy Cruz while Cooper was driving me and Casey so we could all go to Institute in Chapel Hill. I had written a witty little Facebook post a few weeks earlier about a "wise lesson" I had learned of how less is more except for ice cream, and ended the post by saying that I couldn't wait to see what other lessons the summer had in store for me. I had another post in mind yesterday that I wanted to share, and for one of the hashtags [oh my gosh, I am SO millennial! You have to understand, it's still kind of hard for me to accept, because we get made fun of so much in media and are kind of given a lot of crap. But I do indeed say OMG out loud. And sometimes LOL. Sue me, I'm a millennial.] the phrase "summer serendipities" popped into my head and I thought of how cute it would be to do a whole series of funny moments I had during the summer home phrased as life lessons learned and call them my summer serendipities!

And then somewhere along the way in that thought process journey, I thought of what a cute blog that would be, but meh I didn't really want to go into the blog business, I tried that before with Emme and didn't just love it, and then BOOM personal history.

What a cute way to show my babies what I'm really like!

Through this blog and technology in general, they can see real life, candid pictures of the exact moment I'm in and what was going on when I describe it in a post. Unlike the rare, often posed photos of my great-great grandparent's or just the stack of photos of Christmas '93, my babies will get the live-action moment of my life. And I could even use my favorite emojis, because that surprisingly kind of says a lot about a person. 🐳 [just in case you were wondering.] I could print it out every year, and even though a composition notebook with my handwriting is priceless, I live my life as a millennial, with emojis and Snapchat and Facebook and Instagram posts and exciting finds and inspiring quotes from Pinterest, so what better way for my posterity to know me?

Get ready for the ride of your life, y'all. Cause getting inside this mind is a little crazy.

Xoxo,
Addy😘 [SEE?! Emoji! Literally explains and means so much in this time.]

PS So the idea is that no one has or could guess the address to this website since it is kind of personal, but also if someone discovers it and I become rich and famous without any crazy hard work on my end, you know that'd be cool. Lol so more personal "Dear Diary" thoughts or whatever will indeed be handwritten. Just in-time, live-action moments here.

PPS I am also aware that "Serendipities" is technically not a grammatically correct term. But this all just goes along with a very important fact about me, I make up words and other things for no better reason than that I want to.

Comments